Sunday, January 18, 2009

I Went, I Saw, and.... it Conquered Me! Road to California

As a new quilter, I need to say that I was overwhelmed at Road to California. It was quite an event, and I stayed for 5 hours - which was enough for me to see all the quilts that were on show, and to browse all the vendors that interested me, and to spend about $150. I don't do appliqué, yet, nor do I need a sewing machine, nor do I use stencils. So I bypassed all the vendors that had those things. I was drawn to the fabrics and the quilts - and loved the vendors that displayed completed quilts and then had the fabrics available for sale individually or kitted up. I bought one kit - "Be Our Guest," kitted up in coffee-related fabric. In addition, I came home with various fat quarters, notions, and tools. I think the reason I didn't spend all that I'd budgeted for was because my mind was in overdrive with everything to see, and I knew that I could go to one of the THREE quilt shops here to get more fabric. I like the notion of support your local quilting/needlework shop, so that's what I'll be doing.

I took some photographs of some small quilts that caught my eye, and in keeping the rules that were posted, I have the names of the quilters that made them.


This one is by Sharon L. Schlotzhauer of Colorado Springs, Colorado. I used to live there, so I immediately recognized Pikes Peak.











"Going On a Trip with Mary"
by Doris Bloomer of Appling, Georgia.

This was part of a vintage quilt challenge, where sets of vintage blocks were distributed to 19 women, who were challenged to use them to create quilts that were in their own unique styles. They could add to the block they were given, cut it up, embellish it, recreate it, improve upon it, or more. The only requirement was that the finished quilt measured 24" x 24" and the original block was included.












"My Memories of Minnie"
a family collage quilt by Mary Kerr of Woodbridge, Virginia













"Are You In or Out"
by Lisa Ellis of Fairfax, Virginia

2 comments:

Cindy F. said...

I can understand 5 hours! These are gorgeous! I would love to make the 2nd one:)

Anonymous said...

Cyndi -
I am thrilled that you enjoyed our Vintage Revisited exhibit. Pictures of all the quilts and a schedule of future visitation opportunities are available on my web site ---- www.MaryWKerr.com.
Thanks!
Mary Kerr
curator, Vintage Revisited