Sunday, January 25, 2009

Bento Box Quilt Top and Placemats

I just finished piecing together this quilt top that will go in our trailer. The color scheme in the trailer is green, so this will go nicely on the couch.

When I was cutting this, I didn't keep track of how many of everything I was cutting - I just followed the directions for number of strips and squares, and then sewed them together as the instructions said to. I ended up with 12 squares, instead of 9, and don't know why. But it was serendipity, as I was able to discard one square that was really, really crooked, and then use the two other extra ones to make placemats. One of them is sewed incorrectly, but it doesn't matter at all here.

I took the two leftover squares, and added strips on each side to make them rectangles. Next I cut some green print for the back, and some extra fabric for the "batting" - I didn't use batting here, but instead used up two JoAnn fat quarters that were given to me but are too flimsy to use in a quilt. I used the birthing a quilt method to sew them together and turn them inside out, and then did a bunch of quilting in the ditches to finish them up.

I'll be sending the quilt off to get quilted, but I'm going to sew the binding on myself since I've found it to be a whole lot easier than I thought it would be.

1 comment:

Cindy F. said...

You are unbelievable! When you like something, you're unstoppable!! ..lol... This is absolutely beautiful! Love your color and pattern choices! and how cool to make the placemats! You're making these faster than my quilting teacher! Good job!