I decided to try to use some of my "ugly" fabric - and yes, I know " ugly" is in the eye of the beholder. But my tastes have changed over the 5 years I've been sewing, and there are fabrics in my stash I just can't bear to use, and can't bear to throw out. So I tried to use some of them today.
After making two blocks, I sat back and said, "Even the blocks are ugly now." The rectangles not only clashed with the stars, they made the stars ugly. I decided to replace the rectangles with fabric that either matched one of the stars or matched the rest of the background - it depended on how much of it I had left.
Here are two "before and afters:"
Here are the other two blocks for this part: