Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Farmer's Wife - 2nd Time Around

I've had some 30's repro fabric sitting on my shelf ever since I went to Oregon 4 summers ago. I bought it at Country Keepsakes in Brookings. It's not one of my favorite fabric collections - and as a matter of fact, I'd considered donating it to my guild's Sew What room. But over the past couple of weeks I began noticing posts on some other people's blogs about the Farmer's Wife Sow-Along happening on Barrister's Block. Randy is doing 6 blocks a month - 3 each on the first and third Wednesdays. She just started this month, so I figured it would be a good way to use that repro fabric.

I got the fabric out, and thought about the blocks I'd done when I did Farmer's Wife the first time, and realized I needed a couple of more colors.  I had to go down the mountain to get some flannel (it was on sale for $2 a yard at JoAnn) to use as a backing for a quilt I'm making for my daughter. I took the repro fabric with me, and found a great green at JoAnn to go with it. Then I went to Calico Horse, one of my local quilt shops, where Donna helped me find a nice cheddar/red to make my set complete. (Donna is the mother of one of my former students - who is now married and has a set of twins!)

So here are the fabrics I'll use in the Sow-Along (yes, it's deliberately spelled that way).


 The three in the middle are from the original set (there was a turquoise, but I won't be using it). The floral on white is called Nothing But the Sinks, and it's from RJR Fabrics. The red and the navy are by Susie Osburn for Blank Quilting. The green is the one I picked up at JoAnn - one of their "Premium Quilting" fabrics. The cheddar on the left is called Circa 1934, and it's by Cosmo Cricket for Moda.

I'm caught up for this month - I did 6 blocks today, and none of them required templates. (I hate templates - but I'll use them if I have to.) Randy isn't doing them in the order they appear in the book.

I'm using white as my background fabric, and I think from now on I'll go back to photographing my blocks on the yellow mat instead of my white counter.

Block 4 - Basket Weave
Block 21 - Contrary Wife


Block 6 - Big Dipper

Block 2 - Autumn Tints

Block 9 - Box

Block 16 - Calico Puzzle
It's not too late to join this Sow-Along - just click on the button over on the right side of this page!

2 comments:

Randy D. said...

Cyndi, Your blocks are GREAT. I love the floral! What a fabulous idea!!! I'm going to have to figure out the linky thing so we can see what everyone is doing. WAY TO GO!

MysteryKnitter said...

You can quilt!