Saturday, January 14, 2012

Catching up

Wow - I can't believe it's been over a month since I last posted.  I've been busy, though.  From December  5 until the 22nd, Don and I were on a trip in our trailer.  We went to Arizona and New Mexico, doing some sight-seeing and visiting our son and his fiancé in Alamogordo, New Mexico.  (Kenny's stationed at Holloman Air Force Base right outside Alamogordo). I took my cross stitch basket with me and occasionally worked on a calendar-type SAL I obtained from Maryse Dupont.

Once we returned, I settled into a nice routine:  Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, I spend my morning swimming laps and taking a water aerobics class at Loma Linda University. Then I either come home or run errands, and then spend the afternoon sewing.   Tuesday, Thursday, and weekends, I either sew most of the day, or Don and I go for a walk or do something together. 

Right before New Year's Day, Don and I decided to take our extra bedroom and convert it to a sewing studio.  Up until now, about 85% of my sewing stuff, including the desk and almost all of the fabric, has been taking up a huge corner of our living room.  It's been okay as far as companionship goes - I could sew while he watched TV - but it was cramped and messy.  So first we rearranged some furniture, got rid of a bed, and moved all the sewing stuff into that room.  I then contacted my friend Patrick, to whom I'd lent my drafting table while I was out of the classroom, and asked if I could have it back. He's taken my place as the president of the teachers' union, so he doesn't need it now. Don and I went to the high school and picked it up Tuesday morning.

I now have a large sewing space, with room for all my fabric, a desk for the sewing area, and a huge drafting table large enough for the cutting board,  a large ironing board, my printer, and extra work area. I've gotten a lot done, too!

Here's what I've accomplished so far in 2012:

- Bonnie Hunter's Orca Bay Mystery - the top - done in green, brown, blue, and neutral
- a set of placemats for Kenny and Robin
- a block for a swap
- two Modern Monday blocks
- two Traditional Tuesday blocks
- two Bloggers' BOM blocks (November and December)

I've also received numerous blocks for Boomerang (they'll have their own post), as well as one for the monthly bee on the Quilters' Message Board.

Bloggers' BOM - November

Bloggers' BOM - December
I'm also doing the cheddar bow ties along with Bonnie Hunter - I cut about 1/2 a yard of some fabric that I had into 2" squares- it has little flowers on it, but it's primarily cheddar - and will use all of it for the bow ties with various scraps.  I'm doing these as leaders and enders, but already have 9 completed.

Bow ties

Below are the placemats I made for Kenny and Robin.


This green on the reverse side coordinates with the black on the front.

1 comment:

MysteryKnitter said...

If you ask me, those are stunning. You have good eye for colors.