By about 1:30 pm, I had completed my mountains, canyons, and desert floor. The stage was set, but I needed a leading actor.
|Still in need of a focus|
By then, it was 4:30 and the day was over - I couldn't believe I'd been working since 8:30 am. I brought my piece home, and leaned it up on the couch where I could see it from my recliner. I looked at it for almost two weeks - thinking it still needed something else. I initially thought I might need an animal of some kind, and looked at roadrunners and desert bighorn sheep. But due to the requirements of perspective, they would have had to have been huge, and I didn't want to do that. My husband eventually said to try leaves, and just put them on the ground. So that's what I did, and I was really pleased with the results.
Next came the quilting - and since I was doing it on a Featherweight, it was a bit dicey in places. But I pretty much just outlined all the pieces, and added lots of horizontal lines in the sky, mountains, and desert floor, and vertical lines in the canyon walls. Terry had said that these kinds of quilts didn't need borders, so I just added a dark brown binding.
|From my vantage point in the recliner.|
|The final result.|