Saturday, February 26, 2011

"Our Homes Together" Quilt-Block 1

This is my first post using Blogpress, an app for the iPad, since the iPad won't let you use Blogger. I got the iPad to take on our trips, since my laptop is 8 years old and will most likely die of old age in the near future. I'm pleasantly surprised at how easy it is to use.

I'm trying more and more "liberated" quilting, and one of my new projects is to create a quilt that has blocks representing all 14 of the homes Don & I have lived in together.

The first one is below. It was in a small town called Grafenhausen, in Germany. I was in the Air Force, stationed at Rhein-Main Air Base, arriving there in June of 1980. I rented a one-bedroom apartment that took up the top floor of this building-so I had to go up and down 3 flights of stairs. I met Don at the end of August, and he moved in sometime in October. (We were married in February of 1981, and just celebrated our 30th anniversary.)

Our bedroom was on the left side, and the bathroom on the right. Both had steeply slanted ceilings. The kitchen and the living room were in the middle and were much roomier. We had a balcony, which I depicted using the brown rectangle. The red rectangles represent the window boxes of geraniums that we saw in every house each spring.

Next up: our home in Walldorf, Germany.



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad