Saturday, June 20, 2009

Hexagons in nature, and progress on my quilt

We're on a 6-week trip in our trailer, and one of our stops was Devil's Postpile National Monument in the Sierras west of Mammoth Lakes. The postpile is made of cooled lava, which formed into hexagon-shaped columns. This picture is taken at the top - where glaciers sheared off the tops and smoothed them into perfect pavestones.



Since we didn't have electricity the first week of our trip, I was able to get a lot done on my first quilt made from hexagons. The first section, which will be out to the white edges, is almost done. From there I'll continue outward in yellows and a color yet to be decided.


For pictures and descriptions of our summer trip, go to my travel blog, Wanderlust.

2 comments:

corinna said...

great colors on the hexagons
sounds lke your summer is fabulous
have a good one

MysteryKnitter said...

Looks awesome!