Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Hexagons, Hexagons

One night during out quilt class, one of the members (Sheri) showed us how to do English paper piecing. At first, I was interested in learning the technique, but was not too excited about doing lots of flowers. So I put it away, and didn't think about it for a couple of months. A few weeks ago I saw some hexagon sites, and began to get interested again - because I realized I don't have to do flowers! I can do diamonds, and stars, and all sorts of patterns, and even do little pieces with no pattern! I've been making lots of hexagons, as you can see, and I enjoy the fact that this is so portable.




Yes, this is a hexagon. An uneven-sided hexagon, but a hexagon no less. It's also the perfect size to take my hexagon-making kit with me.




I can keep lots of cardboard hexagons in it, scraps, scissors, thread, needles, and thimbles for when my fingers get sore. I put a couple of magnets in the lid to hold needles. Sheri says she takes her "kit" when she travels, so I'm going to give this a try while Don is driving on our trip.

2 comments:

quiltcontemplation blogspot said...

Hey Cyndi
have you checked out Inklingo? you can print hexagons right onto the fabric! Love the altoids tin.

Daffycat said...

That is a fantastic tin! Your hexagons are pretty too!