Friday, April 11, 2008

Something a little different - a recipe!

A few weeks ago I stitched the "Santa's On His Way" ornament from Rosie & Co., which was in the 2003 Just Cross Stitch Magazine Christmas Ornament issue. A lot of the designers include recipes with their designs, and the one that accompanied the ornament was this coconut tart. It's so easy to make - just mix up everything together, put it in a pie pan, and bake it. It puffed up beautifully, just like the recipe said it would, and then sank some once it was chilled. Don and I ate it both warm and chilled, and liked it both ways. The tart makes a crunchy top crust that reminds me of a coconut macaroon. I think I'll make it again soon and see if I can do it with Splenda and unsweetened coconut.


Cathy's Coconut Tart
from Rosie & Co. in Just Cross Stitch Magazine


1 cup coconut
1 cup sugar
4 eggs
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 stick unsalted butter, softened*
2 cups milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 325˚.
In a large bowl, beat all ingredients together until thick and creamy. Pour into a greased 9" pie plate and bake approximately 30 minutes, until risen and golden.** Serve warm or cold. Makes 6-8 servings.




* I used salted butter and it was just fine
** I had to bake it for 40 minutes before it would set up

1 comment:

MysteryKnitter said...

Unfortunately that recipe is not for me. Why? Because of the egg. I can't eat any of that.